So many dollars travel through payrolls. Any glitch in a company’s approach to employment taxes (and related obligations) can lead to unspeakable devastation for both the company and responsible individuals. Often, little, if any, thought, goes into structure, implementation and documentation of payroll tax approaches. It is as if no one is driving the boat. Someone needs to be watching out. At times, that person is the non-tax professional. This course identifies potential and actual life threatening payroll tax disasters (and savings opportunities) and enlightens as to what to do next.
Basic Course Information
- Learn to identify potential employment tax and related devastations and how to head them off at the pass
- Learn to identify how to responsibly reduce employment tax and related costs where possible
- Develop a sixth sense about proper structure of employment or contract labor relationship
- Learn how to keep your own (and your colleagues) fanny(ies) out of the employment tax sling
- Employment tax storms that threaten a company and its people
- Employee wage withholding – Where it all can lead
- Outside payroll providers – The good, bad, ugly and brutal
- Employee expense reimbursements and employment tax – Keep the train on the track – A whole lot more to it than you think
- Avoiding personal liability for company’s failure to collect, account for and pay over employment taxes – Keep the wolf from your door
- Social security (FICA) taxes and all of the others (more than meet the eye)
- Interactions with IRS – Most definite dos and don’ts
- Data exposure, data loss and tax fraud – Make sure to do this
- Eligibility for Employment, Immigration and Form I-9
- Backup Withholding and Form W-9 – Why (and how) no one can ignore it
- Change of Responsible Person (Form 8822-B) – Ignore it? Absolutely no way
- How Workers’ Comp insurance should get your attention in a huge way
- Money vs. Freedom
- Fringe benefits and employment taxes tied at the hip
- Contractor or employee – When it walks the walk (and when to run away)
Bradley Burnett practices tax law in Colorado. After undergraduate (Business Administration/Accounting) school and law (J.D.) school, he earned a Master of Laws in Taxation (LL.M.) from the University of Denver School of Law Graduate Tax Program. After stints at national and local accounting firms and a medium sized Denver law firm, he established his own law firm in 1990, He has delivered more than 3,300 presentations on tax law to CPAs, attorneys, EAs and others throughout all fifty U.S. states, Washington, D.C. and seven countries. Bradley served four years as adjunct professor at the University of Denver School of Law Graduate Tax Program, where he pioneered an employment tax course and occasionally pinch-hit in the IRS practice and procedure field. He authors and teaches tax materials for Commerce Clearing House (CCH), has received the Illinois Society of CPAs Instructor Excellence Award and five times has been the most requested, top-rated presenter at annual state CPA tax institutes. His seminar style is briskly paced delivery of practical insights with humor.
Wed, Sep 23, 2020 - 11:00am to 01:00pm CDT
Wed, Oct 21, 2020 - 11:00am to 01:00pm CDT
Wed, Nov 18, 2020 - 11:00am to 01:00pm CST
Wed, Dec 30, 2020 - 11:00am to 01:00pm CST
Basic Course Information
Bradley Burnett Tax Seminars, Ltd.
Human Resource professionals, controllers, non-tax accountants, owners and any other interested persons desiring to identify potential employment tax and related devastations and how to head them off at the pass
Complaint Resolution Policy
Please contact Jessica Vieira with any complaints at firstname.lastname@example.org, (617-519-6790).
Course Registration Requirements
Instructional Delivery Method
Group Internet Based
Please contact the HREN help desk 1-877-602-9877 or help@HREducationNetwork.com if you wish to cancel your attendance for a previously purchased webcast and are requesting a refund or transfer.
HRCI Accreditation Information
HR Education Network is a recognized provider of recertification credits. HR Certification Institute® pre-approved this program for 1 HR (Business) credit towards aPHRTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification.
SHRM Accreditation Information
HR Education Network is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for 1 PDC. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
Total Reviews: 1